Consider open sourcing desktop CMapTools

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
etinin

Consider open sourcing desktop CMapTools

Post by etinin »

I believe you guys could benefit from open sourcing the desktop version of CMapTools. With Freemind, for instance, having about 4000 downloads per day, CMapTools is getting behind in quite a few features. I'm sure a lot of people who like the software would be interested in contributing to it.

There are a lot of open source projects which are even profit-oriented and it definitely wouldn't mean losing control over the software.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Consider open sourcing desktop CMapTools

Post by cmapadmin »

Can you provide the list of features that you find missing?
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

One feature that I've needed over my many years of using CmapTools is a visual "layering" capability. This suggestion from 2012 mentions it: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=164&hilit=layer. I sometimes want to fine-tune a map's visuals or creatively express an idea and which node is on top of the other node plays a key role. Basically, I'd like the common, "Send back" "Send forward" visual layering capability.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

We agree, this is on the list of features to add soon.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

With hundreds (thousands?) of cmap files made over years, finding different maps I've worked on and versions I've improved, an enhancement that would be great is enabling "thumbnail" on the History view. Also, allowing more than 20 recent items -- 1 hundred? 2 hundred? would also be helpful. Yes, really like the recent improvements made to the search tool.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Hmmm... Adding more items to the history view is not difficult. We'll look into that.

We didn't add the thumbnail option because we assumed users wanted to see the "Date Accessed" & location columns all the time.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

While accessed date is useful when I'm wondering 'when did I do that', often my inquiry is focused on 'finding that cmap'. And, in that case, visual cues of the looks of the map are so much more important to me than date or name even. That is, assuming that the list is sorted by time since last opened. About location information, that is useful, though not during the seeking process, but during the, 'hmmm... I wonder where I stored that' stage. What would be helpful, if a nested search could be done where the top level was by Location (eg local or Xplace, Yplace, etc).

While on the topic of improving history view, another thing I need constantly is the 'open enclosing folder' option (through the Views interface, not through computer file system). I can't over-emphasize the importance of this little feature.

Additionally, when I decide to significantly improve a map I use the following method for version control. I duplicate the map and rename by adding a number (1, 2, 3, etc) to the end of the name. I've noticed that the recently created cmap does not show up in the History view. That would be useful.

Thanks!
David G
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

While on the topic of improving history view, another thing I need constantly is the 'open enclosing folder' option (through the Views interface, not through computer file system). I can't over-emphasize the importance of this little feature.
Yes, this option makes a lot of sense. Right now you need to open the Cmap, and then use the "Edit -> Find in Views" menu option.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

Ah! Nice! I never tried that option.
Thanks for this info, it will help.

I think I always read, "Find..." as an open-ended process of locating. Suggested tweak: change to, "Show enclosing folder" or "Open enclosing folder". Maybe that's just Mac OS-specific jargon.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Good point. Show Enclosing Folder is a more general term.