.cxl files as resources?

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
dgroos

.cxl files as resources?

Post by dgroos »

I made a style template and want students to be able to import it easily. Is there some way to do this?

I considered putting it in a common folder on my cmapserver with the thought that students could navigate to it and try to install from there but ran into the problem that I couldn't find the .cxl file type for the resources. There may be a better way... Ideas?

Thanks,
David
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: .cxl files as resources?

Post by cmapadmin »

If you right-click on a template you can export it. Then others can use the import button. Or am I missing something?
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

I've exported the template--that's the .cxl file, right? Then that file is in my downloads or where ever I choose (as I remember) and I can move it anywhere. Is there some place on the file system where I should put this .cxl file so that when another user will find it? Or, am I being confused and does this template automatically get added to some common network location?

Actually I could put it in a common place on all the client computers, quite easily, such as in the /usr/share/applications/IHMC_CmapTools directory.

I thought it would somehow have to be put in a ~/ location for each user or somewhere in our cmapserver where a user could download.

Thanks
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Export the CXL file and import it again. Share that imported Cmap, eg in a shared folder in the Cmap Cloud. Have the students copy it, open it, and create a template from it.

Yes, it should be easier, and will be in a future release. We are working on it.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

I'm just so thankful that you made this functionality. This functionality removes, in my way of working with concept maps with students, a rough edge.

I've not used the Cmap Cloud but I could simply do this as a file download on many web services to which I have easy access, why didn't I think of that? Thanks again!
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Glad you find it useful.
dgroos

Post by dgroos »

Ideas...
  • Allow teachers to create a bundle of styles that can be placed in a common location such as the Cmap Cloud or (my pref) a CmapServer
  • By clicking on the bundle, student would get the option to replace their default set of styles
  • This would allow for easy teacher updating the bundle and student's updating their default set