How to select multiple objects?

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools for the iPad? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
This forum is aimed at users of CmapTools for the iPad App.
KOfTheEnd

How to select multiple objects?

Post by KOfTheEnd »

i need to move a cluster of concepts but I can't find a way to select a block of several concepts to move them at the same time, like on the computer.
The application is pretty much useless if you need to move every concept one by one.
rcarff

Re: How to select multiple objects?

Post by rcarff »

One way to select multiple objects is by using the dropdown menu which can be accessed by touching the icon in the upper right that looks like a cross-hair (a circle with lines on the top, bottom, left, and right). This dropdown lets you select All objects, All Concepts, All Linking Phrases, or All Connections.

We are planning on adding a multi select feature for selecting just a few objects in the map, but we are still trying to figure out the best way of doing it. There is an undocumented way that does not alway work that you can try if you want, which is to use 2 fingers to touch objects in the map. A touch event that is registered with 2 fingers tells the app to select the current object, but do not deselect previously selected objects. The problem is that the iPad is so sensitive that if you do not touch both fingers at almost the exact same time, you will get 2 touch events instead of one. If you have a suggestion as to what would be a good way to implement multi select, we would be glad to hear it.
KOfTheEnd

Re: How to select multiple objects?

Post by KOfTheEnd »

thank you for the trick.
it is in fact not so effective.

Omnigraffle deals with this problem easily, allowing to select a rectangular area with a single finger long touch + drag.

i must say I can't use cmaptools right niw because I need to move big clusters here and there frequently, so it would be helpful to have this feature quickly (I am using omnigraffle for concept maps for the moment).

by the way another unrelated problem is that the text to input is often hidden under the keyboard in landscape mode.
it may be an iOs problem but you have to keep in ming there are different styles of keyboards so you should have a security margin for choosing the place to display the text while inputting.