Import a list of users ...

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
zabelle_motte

Import a list of users ...

Post by zabelle_motte »

I would like to know if it is possible to import a list of users in CMapTools.
For those who have numerous participants to manage, this would be useful.

Any suggestion to implement it ?

Thanks in advance.

Zabelle
rcarvajal

Re: Import a list of users ...

Post by rcarvajal »

@zabelle_motte:

There is not a way to do it using CmapTools' GUI, but it can be done using web services. The information about web services in CmapTools is available at Knowledge Exchange Architecture based on Web Services, Concept Maps and CmapTools.
Rodrigo Carvajal
zabelle_motte

Post by zabelle_motte »

Thanks a lot for this techical document.

I study it and come back with my comment.

Zabelle
jgorman

Post by jgorman »

It is nice that an import list can be done via KEA but is this does not really help most classroom teachers like myself as we do not understand how to set up a web service or program such a thing. I would suggest that if it is possible and someone has implemented it, the community would benefit from such a functionality. Most teachers have over 100 students, a better to manage such a group within CmapTools itself would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you
zabelle_motte

Post by zabelle_motte »

I see 2 other solutions to that problem :
1) One solution would be to build a CmapTools module for some e-Learning platform (such as Moodle or Claroline).
That would be the best solution to avoid juggling with different identifiants and passwords.
2) An other possibility would be to make self-registration possible on a CmapTools server. Associated to self-registration in groups, I think it would help much professors with large groups. At the beginnig of an activity, a professor opens one folder for self-registration and when groups are constituted, he closes self-registration.

Zabelle, trying to enter in the heart of the Cmaptools server ...
rcarvajal

Post by rcarvajal »

@zabelle_motte:

You can also register the CmapServer to an LDAP server, as Moodle, Claroline, and many other LMS do.

Actually the user's authentication of CmapForum and CmapSearch is based on a LDAP server. The same LDAP server is also used to authenticate the users of the "IHMC Cmappers'" CmapServer.
Rodrigo Carvajal