Shortcuts to Resources: Edit path

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
georgm

Shortcuts to Resources: Edit path

Post by georgm »

Currently there is no way to change the path to a Resource within a Shortcut.
This feature could possibly be easily added to the Properties dialog of a Shortcut.

A Cmap consists of Concepts. Concepts may point to several Resources. When choosing to NOT import the Resource, but to create a Shortcut to the Resource, a new Shortcut is created. However, there is no way to edit the string that is used to reference the actual resource (have tried Properties on Shortcuts, XML-Export of Cmap -- that does not contain the path and only the myfilename.alias instead, and myfilename.alias is binary).

By example, I have created a Shortcut to a file on my local filesystem. This file is needed in other contexts and should not be imported to Cmaptools. The path and/or the name of file may change from time to time. Currently there is no way to adapt my Cmap respectively the Shortcut to this change.

The only possibility now is to 1) Create a new Shortcut to the Resource using the new Path, 2) Remove the old (broken) Shortcut, 3) Search for broken or missing Links in the Cmap(s!), 4) Add the new Shortcut to the concept(s) that the search returns.

Obviously, when changing the foldername of a folder that contains many Resources, this approach is cumbersome and personally, I rate this as critically important to usability (down to decision about choice of software).