iPad version

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
bpwhistler

iPad version

Post by bpwhistler »

Is there a possibility of seeing a version for iPad?
acanas

Re: iPad version

Post by acanas »

All our development is based on research grants. If we find funding to develop an iPad version, we would do so.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

With regards to funding...how much would you estimate a project of this size would take.

I have access to several grant proposal writers that might look into this as a favor to me.

brett at brettwhistler.com
acanas

Post by acanas »

Thanks for the offer... we can write the grants, its finding the funding sources willing to give the money that's the problem.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

No problem...I expected as much. Funding...and competing for it...is always the trick.

Is writing an iPad version on the "list" or more of an "if the opportunity presents itself?"

I have the feeling that this form factor is going to make a large impact in the computing world, and having an app for the premier concept mapping software in the itunes store in a reasonable time frame might bring the idea and utilization of concept mapping to a broader audience.

To be honest, I fairly twitch with anticipation at the idea of having my cmaps with me all the time. I can only imagine the UI of Cmap on an iPad. Developing maps would be fast, intuitive, and fun.
acanas

Post by acanas »

I agree!
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

I notice there have been quite a few "viewers" of this thread. If any of you would like to see a version in this form factor, please write a quick note so the developers know it is desired (and why). Maybe they would put searching for funding higher on their priority list! One can only hope...

Cheers
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

So that I don't keep hoping for an iPad version if it's not possible...I was just running this idea through my head...and had a question. iPad doesn't support Java. Would a version written for iPad produce Cmaps that are incompatible with the Windows, Mac, Linux versions of Cmap? If so...I can only imagine that an iPad version is a pipe dream...

Cheers
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

I want to correct a part of the previous post. It appears that iPhone/iPad do support JavaScript.
bpwhistler

Post by bpwhistler »

MindMeister for iPad was released today. I know it's in a different class as compared to Cmap, but I still think it's indicative of anticipation of desire for this type of application on the iPad.