Java applet to display CMaps

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
Garuda

Java applet to display CMaps

Post by Garuda »

What would be nice / useful, would be a Java applet that can be uploaded to a web site, that can DISPLAY a CMAP, that's read in from either a native CMAP format, or from the CXL format.
That way the need to export as PNG or JPG could be bypassed.

(And, let me pre-emptively answer this one: "CXL needs to be exported as well," you might say.
Yes. But I've got all the information on the topics / concepts, as well as their 'related topics' / concepts, as well as their 'relationship qualifiers' / 'linking words' stored in a MySQL database, which means they can be exported to CXL in bulk).
acanas

Re: Java applet to display CMaps

Post by acanas »

If you export them into a CmapServer (and then restart the CmapServer), or better, take the Cmaps from the database and store the Cmaps in a CmapServer (v5.04) using webservices, the Cmapserver will automatically generate the html and you can view the Cmaps using CmapTools or the HTML version.

We are looking into having a Cmap viewer, but it won't be a Java applet.
Garuda

Post by Garuda »

Thanks for the swift reply.

Allow me to explain more precisely what I had in mind: I'm not really looking for something to create an HTML page. I'm looking for a way to integrate a visual representation of the map into existing HTML pages, without having to manually export the cmaps to jpg or png.
(I'm talking about a knowledge base with approx. 400 topics / concepts).

From that perspective: a viewer that could be embedded in an HTML page would be useful.

Your suggestion would basically allow for a 'mass export to jpg' since a jpg is created for each cmap for which an html page is created...

Thanks for that.

Cheers!

(Great product, by the way 8-) ).
danielpoulin

Post by danielpoulin »

Hello Alberto,

I hope the Cmap Viewer will permit users to read popup text coming from concepts or even annotations!

The software VUE 3.0.2 permits that and it is very useful to add additional information to Cmap readers.

Daniel