Using the default Java engine

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
tobiaslombacher

Using the default Java engine

Post by tobiaslombacher »

I use the IHMC Tools 5.03 on Windows XP SP3

I would like to know if there is any way to use the system default java engine. I keep this one up to date and I think it is not necessary maintain a second one. I tried renaming java engine in the IHMC installation directory to jre_old and started the CMAP Tools. This works fine but every time I start the CMAP Tools now I have to specify user name, password and so on. Is there any way to avoid this? I tried all possible Preferences in the Settings menu but I experience always the same result.

Thanks for helping.

Tobias
bbarker

Re: Using the default Java engine

Post by bbarker »

I would like to know the same thing. Or, as an alternative, is it possible to update the files in the Cmaptools version of Java so it is up-to-date?
acanas

Post by acanas »

Hi,

We ship CmapTools with a Java engine that we have tested. Running it with a newer version of Java won't necessarily work. For example, Java 1.6 on the Mac, an update that came with Snow Leopard, breaks saving the profile because of new ways of managing XML. That is why you now have to specify the name, password, etc. Unless you are very familiar with Java and its settings and want to go into changing the paths for CmapTools' execution, I would recommend that you stick with the Java engine that it ships with.

Regards,

Alberto
mateolan

Post by mateolan »

What should a Mac user do, who has unwittingly updated their Java installation and no longer has their profile information saved automagically?
acanas

Post by acanas »

Hi,

First option is to edit the profile file with a text editor, changing the information you need to update. Not the best solution if you often change language, for example, but it works if all you are doing is changing one setting.
On the Mac, go to your Home folder (usually "Users":<your-userid>"), and then into the Library:Preferences:CmapTools folder.
The file profile.xml is an xml file that can be edited with and text editor. All the settings can be changed here. Save the file and relaunch CmapTools.

The second option would be more complicated, and implies going back in the Java version, as explained in this link:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... 3192950640
I haven't tried it, so I can't recommend it.