MY cmap list won't be loaded

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
terry-beck

Re: MY cmap list won't be loaded

Post by terry-beck »

I ran the installation again, after I read your previous post because, in re-reading your post, I thought the trouble might be that it was attempting to use the "Terry" user profile instead of the "Terrell" profile, where everything is actually stored (the "Terry" profile probably should be deleted: it was the original profile before a Vista repair caused me to create a whole new User Profile folder to use).
In that installation, I went through the Advanced Configuration and made sure it was going to use the "Terrell" profile. However, it stalled out at "Loading" again.
So I checked, as you just now suggested, and found that there was no "My Cmaps" folder created on that installation attempt (the previous "My Cmaps" folder, with all my old cmaps, having been re-named "My Old Cmaps" so as not to screw up anything during installation). Now, I've run the installation one more time AFTER having created a "My Cmaps" folder in the Terrell\My Documents. Unfortunately, this time, again, it is stalling at "Loading." I'm attaching the most recent log file.
Attachments
cmaptools0.log
(62.01 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
acanas

Post by acanas »

Terry,

Your log shows some strange combination of profiles/directories being used, e.g.:

'C:\Users\Terrell\AppData\Roaming\CmapTools\locales.cache'

C:\Users\Terrell\AppData\Roaming\CmapTools

server.rootfolder is C:\Users\Terry\Documents\My Cmaps

There are no problems creating files (e.g. locks) under the AppData directory.

So it does seem that there is some problem with your profiles.

But, if you were able to create the My Cmaps folder then CmapTools should start up, and even if it has problems we should be displaying some error message. We're looking into it. You may want to check your profiles again.

Thanks,

Alberto
terry-beck

Post by terry-beck »

I certainly appreciate all you very quick help, Alberto. I tried to clean up the profiles (deleted the "Terry" profile as well as a Public and a Guest profile and got rid of some junk files in the "Terrell" profile). Then I went into Program Files and uninstalled Cmap Tools from that folder (previously, I'd let the Install program do the uninstall). Then I deleted that entire Program Files "IMHC Cmap Tools" folder and installed again. Again, it's stuck in the "Loading" mode. So, again, I'm attaching the most recent log file.
Thanks for everything you're doing!
Terry
Attachments
cmaptools0.log
(62.16 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
acanas

Post by acanas »

Thanks Terry, we're looking into it...
acanas

Post by acanas »

Terry,

Did you try creating the folder My Cmaps under Documents folder for the Terrell user/profile and then running CmapTools?

Alberto
terry-beck

Post by terry-beck »

Yes, Alberto--that's where it is (still empty): Users\Terrell\My Documents\My Cmaps
ghill47

Post by ghill47 »

Terry, the log file says that the error is occurring when CmapTools tries to create C:\Users\Terry\Documents\My Cmaps, not C:\Users\Terrell\Documents\My Cmaps

Please notice the difference in the two user names: "Terry" vs. "Terrell".

Who are you logged in as?
Greg Hill -- IHMC -- CmapTools Group
terry-beck

Post by terry-beck »

I'm logged in as "Terrell." I've deleted the "Terry" user profile altogether. When I run the installation (using "Advanced Configuration"), I always specify a path from User\Terrell\My Documents for the "My Cmaps" folder. I don't see how it could think about using "Terry"--except that that was were a previous version of Cmap Tools resided. But as I said, the "Terry" user profile is deleted. I just tried another installation, but it's again stuck "Loading.' I'll try another installation tomorrow after the computer has been shut down and rebooted, and I'll either report a success here or send you the log file for that installation attempt. In fact, before I try that installation, I'll uninstall and delete the download file and the Program Folder and then download again, to have an absolutely fresh start.
Thanks again.
Terry
ghill47

Post by ghill47 »

Hi, Terry. In my opinion, you shouldn't unload or reinstall anything. Look for the following file:

Either C:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Application Data\CmapTools\profile.xml
or
C:\Documents and Settings\Terrell\Application Data\CmapTools\profile.xml

Most likely you should look for C:\Documents and Settings\Terrell\Application Data\CmapTools\profile.xml, since you are now logging in as Terrell.

My guess is that if you edit that profile.xml, you'll find three lines near the top of the file that look like the following:
<property name="server.rootfolder">
<string>C:\Documents and Settings\Terry\My Documents\My Cmaps</string>
</property>

Just change the string "Terry" to "Terrell" and see what happens when you restart CmapTools.

If at all possible, please don't delete anything or reinstall anything yet; as soon as I see a response from you, I will try to respond back as quickly as possible in the hopes of solving this. I would prefer to find out exactly what the problem is/was rather than to reinstall and see the problem "go away".

By the way, whether the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Terrell\My Documents\My Cmaps exists or not, if my guess is correct, you should be able to restart CmapTools after making the edit that I have suggested.

Of course, if neither of the profile.xml files that I mentioned even exist, I would like to know that also.

Thanks

Greg
Greg Hill -- IHMC -- CmapTools Group
terry-beck

Post by terry-beck »

Hi Greg~
That worked!! Thank you (and Alberto) for being so persistent in helping me get the problem fixed. When the program first booted up, I had the "new" My Cmaps folder which was blank. The program came up and I could create a new cmap. Then I closed the program, deleted the "My Cmaps" folder and renamed the old My Cmaps folder, and the next time the program booted up, I had access to all my old cmaps!
Thanks again!!
Terry