Building a collaborative CMap

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
wags

Building a collaborative CMap

Post by wags »

Hi All,

I understand that CMap tools allows one to collaboratively build a concept map. Before I undertake this process (I'm going to use the on-line help and cross my fingers) does anyone have experiences with this area that might share their wisdom on 1) How well did it work? 2) was it easy to do? 3) Any pitfalls that I need to be aware of? I am a relative newbie but I know enough to be dangerous!

Thanks!!!
acanas

Re: Building a collaborative CMap

Post by acanas »

Hi,

When building a concept map collaboratively, be aware that it implies that all modifications any of the participants make have to be sent to all other participants, and all these go through the CmapServer where the Cmap is stored. How well will it work? Depends on (a) your bandwidth, how good each of the participant's connection is to the CmapServer, (b) how many people are involved, and (c) how much concurrent editing takes place. When first introduced to synchronous collaboration, students tend to move concepts back and forth to see if it updates in the other (collaborating) screens. If you have many students doing this, it will fail. If on the other hand, the time is spend discussing (through the chat) and building a Cmap as a team, it should work fine.

Regards,

Alberto
Igor_perevoznyk

I CAN NOT START ANY DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Igor_perevoznyk »

Dear friends,
My menu does not PERMIT TO activate "DISCUSSION THREAD" for the CMaps which I have in my PC.
It is always desactivated. What can I do to start using "DISCUSSION THREAD" mode?
(I want to discuss my CMaps with other people in Asia. We can not work using any servers due to bad Internet connections and have to work offline).
(I use CMapTools 5.03, operation system Windows Vista, RAM 4 GB)
Thank you very much,
Igor Perevoznyk
acanas

Re: Building a collaborative CMap

Post by acanas »

Hi,

The Cmaps in your computer (those in My Cmaps) cannot be accessed by others. Therefore it doesn't make any sense to create a discussion thread (DT) on a Cmap on My Cmaps since you wouldn't be able to "discuss" with anybody else. Hence the entry is disabled in the menu.

Discussion Threads can only be added to Cmaps in a CmapServer. The permissions need to be set so the users who are going to participate have annotation permissions on the folder containing the DT.
Igor_perevoznyk

where is the PLACE for discussions?

Post by Igor_perevoznyk »

Hi,
It is really not a problem to solve but a question and a suggestion.
IT COULS BE INTERESTING TO HAVE A PLACE IN A FORUM JUST TO DISCUSS THE U S E of CMaps and CMapTools.
WHERE ARE THE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE U S E of CMaps and CMapTools? - I am interested to discuss many aspects - methodolgy of construction of CMaps, good and bad ones, search and presentation (self- and by anybody) of good CMaps - just look how actively that is done by Mindmaps promoters!;
+
practice of introduction of CMAps in my project teams, benefits and shortages of use of CMaps, CMaps for concrete subjects - examples, banks, etc., international projects with CMaps, etc.

Where are those places?
Isn`t this forum is a good place for this?
Best regards and thanks to the authours of the CMaps.
Igor