CmapTools always open as first time

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
PaiRobinho

CmapTools always open as first time

Post by PaiRobinho »

Hi all!

Well, I have installed CmapTools in Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 at my laptop. I've filled the fields once and never needed to fill again. After fill the fields, it always open in View Mode + Untitled.

After this, I have installed CmapTools in one machine (that have Ubuntu 9.10 i386) and have cloned the system among the others... This installation always ask me the username and password (first time screen), but in my laptop this doesn't happen.

Anybody know how to solve this?

Thanks.

(Sorry for the bad english)
acanas

Re: CmapTools always open as first time

Post by acanas »

Hi Paul,

I can see 3 possibilities for the problem.

a) There is option in the installer to have the information requested every time (not have it saved), which is useful, for example, when computers are being shared by students. Make sure you didn't select this option during installation.

b) You may have permissions issues and CmapTools is not being able to save your profile information. This is usually saved under your home directory, you can change it during installation so make sure you have write permissions on the directory you select.

After you run the program once, you should have a profile.xml file with your userid, password, etc. information created. If (1) the advanced option is selected during installation so the user's information is not stored, and so this file is not kept, or (2) if the file cannot be created, CmapTools will request the information again.

Given your a Linux user you should be able to find these files in your two setups and compare.

(c) Last, what version of Java are using on the setup you are replicating? Is it the same in both settings. There are issues with Java 1.6 and saving XML files, particularly the profile file, and this could also be causing the problem.