Cmap Tools Sometimes Does Not Launch

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
jrye

Cmap Tools Sometimes Does Not Launch

Post by jrye »

I am running Windows XP and IHMC Beta 5.04 v.11. Unpredictably, CmapTools will not open when I click the cmaptools launch icon. Then, even if I use the Windows Task Manager to "end task" and try launching again, it will not launch and it sometimes tells me that "Another copy of cmaptools seems to already be running or is staring up. This one will terminate," and the only way I can rectify the situation is to restart my computer (after which I then am able to launch cmaptools). Even though I am running the latest beta version, it occurs to me that I occasionally had this problem with 5.03.
acanas

Re: Cmap Tools Sometimes Does Not Launch

Post by acanas »

Hi,

Please post a copy for the log file so we can examine what is going on. Instructions can be found at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

@jyre:

Do you have a firewall installed on your computer? if the answer is yes, then turn it off and try to run CmapTools again.

Another option is to run CmapTools from the "bin" folder under CmapTools' folder.

1. Open the explorer (or double-click on "My PC"), then

2. Go to C:\Program Files\IHMC CmapTools\bin\
NOTE: I'm assuming you did a standard installation

3. Double-click "cmaptools.exe"

CmapSupport
mfitz

Post by mfitz »

I'm having the same problem as well, where sometimes Cmap Tools doesn't launch--it just hangs on the splash screen (Cmap version 5.04, Windows 7 32-bit home premium). I don't believe a firewall is the problem, because sometimes it launches without a problem. If it doesn't open the first time, I can only get the program to launch by restarting the computer. Even if I try to stop the application with the Windows task manager, Cmap either doesn't appear to be running, or I still get a message saying that the application is already running when I try again to launch it. I've attached the most recent log file.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Attachments
cmaptools0.log
most recent log file
(106.33 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
acanas

Post by acanas »

What machine are you running on -- particularly, how much memory? Java is running out of memory.

If you have somewhere around 256MB, you may try running CmapLite. We'll look at the log more closely anyway.
mfitz

Post by mfitz »

My machine (do you want the manufacturer?) has 3 gb physical memory. I have Cmap Tools running now, and the task manager shows that Java is taking 74,000 k of memory. Cmap usually launches the first time I try, but the problem occurs if I close it and then try to reopen. With the other applications I'm running, the task manager shows that 50% of the memory is in use.

I now find that if the program doesn't seem to be loading, I can use the task manager to end the java process that's running. Then when I reopen, the program launches.
acanas

Post by acanas »

OK, thanks, just wanted to be sure. We'll look into it.