CMAPTOOLS extremely slow after version update of Feb. 14, 2019?

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
shreveman

CMAPTOOLS extremely slow after version update of Feb. 14, 2019?

Post by shreveman »

I'm running CMAPTOOLS Version 6.03.01 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.3.

I had been using cmaptools for a few months on my Mac without problems. My last use of it was about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, I opened my most recently created cmap and the app ran very slowly. Today I uninstalled cmaptools, downloaded the most recent version from your website and reinstalled it. The problem persists.

I also opened other cmaps and had the same slow response. If I click on a concept, it takes several seconds to be selected. Then if I click on another concept, it hangs up for a minute or longer. It even slows down switching to another app. Cmaptools has become unusable. Could it be related to the most recent update?

Thanks!
shreveman

Re: CMAPTOOLS extremely slow after version update of Feb. 14, 2019?

Post by shreveman »

UPDATE 2/20/2019: I see that there was a MacOS update to my Macbook on 2/10/2019. Could that have caused a problem with CMAPTOOLS?
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

We haven't seen any issues regarding CmapTools and the latest Mojave updates. Are you running a lot of concurrent programs? May be a memory issue. E.g. running CmapTools and a VM such as VMWare on a 4GB machine makes it slow. The Activity Monitor can provide an idea of how much memory is being used.
shreveman

Post by shreveman »

Thanks for your reply. The problem is no longer occurring. Whatever was causing the slowdown has apparently resolved itself. The only system change I made was to uninstall the dictation feature of MacOS because it seemed to use a fair amount of memory according to the Activity Monitor. I don't recall if I checked how CmapTools ran after uninstalling dictation.

FYI -- My Macbook Pro has 8GB of memory. I usually run several programs at once, including CmapTools, without problems. One of my programs runs under CrossOver, but again, I had not had any problems until last week.