CMapTools 6.0.4 and Mac OSX 10.15

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
lsfinn

CMapTools 6.0.4 and Mac OSX 10.15

Post by lsfinn »

Hi -
Two things:
1) Possibly useful notes on upgrading/using cmaptools 6.0.4 on Mac OSX 10.15 (Catalina);
2) Question on appropriate behavior re: Catalina security settings.

Notes on upgrading/using camptools 6.0.4 on Mac OSX 10.15 (Catalina):
Just updated CMapTools to 6.0.4, which is described as necessary for proper functioning in Mac OSX 10.15. After the update I found I could no longer access any of my previous cmaps:
* On startup the new cmaptools popped a directory browser with a message that it could not access my previous cmap Root directory. I was asked to select a new cmap Root directory
* In the provided browser no files or folders are shown below the Documents folder.

A check of Mac OSX 10.16 security preferences showed that cmaptools did have access to my Documents folder, but did not have full disk access. When I gave it full disk access it was able to access my previous cmap Root directory.

Question on appropriate behavior re: Catalina security settings
Is it appropriate that cmap tools should need full disk access to read/write into subdirectories of the Document folder? Why is access to the Document folder not enough?