CmapTools in Linux

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
worths1

CmapTools in Linux

Post by worths1 »

Where does the CmapTools binary install in Linux. I'm trying to find it. I'm using Elementary OS and I installed from Terminal using the GUI.

BTW, there seems to be a forum bug. Every search returns the error "too many common words."
lostipod

Re: CmapTools in Linux

Post by lostipod »

I just installed this for my partner on Elementary OS 5 and had the same problem. I re-ran the installer, but this time chose her Home directory as the install path (the default location of

Code: Select all

/root/IHMC CmapTools
is bizarre and I could not find it just using

ls
on

/
). After all that I realized that to launch the app, one has to launch from the terminal (from the install location chosen):

./CmapTools
The rights should be fine, even though the installer installs as user root and group root, everyone has execute permissions.

Now I just need to figure out how to create a link for her in the Dock, or I guess write a "script" with the command. No matter if I ran the installer bin in terminal mode or GUI mode, I got
Link Folder:
DO NOT INSTALL

I'm assuming that's why the installer bin didn't create a nice shiny icon to click on to launch the application.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: CmapTools in Linux

Post by cmapadmin »

That's correct -- on Linux, CmapTools is by default installed in your home folder, in the "IHMC CmapTools" subfolder. So if you are logged in as root, you will find it in /home/root/IHMC CmapTools (with root ownership since you installed it as root). If you installed it as a normal user, you can find it in /home/<userId>/IHMC CmapTools.

As mentioned, after changing to the installation folder, you can simply run the "./CmapTools" launch script from that folder.

You can manually add a shortcut icon to your desktop to launch CmapTools, but the details depend on your linux distribution and desktop environment. For elementary OS, this link may help:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... y-os-freya

- cmapadmin