CMapTools for Win gives security warnings upon download and install routine completes with missing install directory?!

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
cezerd

CMapTools for Win gives security warnings upon download and install routine completes with missing install directory?!

Post by cezerd »

Team - Weird/suspicious behavior for new download/install on my Win10 desktop.

It seems CMapTools for Windows 6.04 is not downloading from you website: https://cmap.ihmc.us/cmaptools/cmaptools-download/, or alternate site using Chrome. I click on the links on your webpage but no response. Save link as ... command does download (see img) with a warning: Win64CmapTools ...exe can't be downloaded securely, (see img). After choosing KEEP instead of DISCARD I run NORTON LIFE LOCK, and it says file is safe.

So I install the file with std settings - no error msgs noticed. I look for file/app to launch but nothing shows in my start menu/folders or C:/Program Files* directores. Windows setup shows an installed instance, but when I try to UNINSTALL (due to suspicious results above) it says .. "Windows cannot find C/Program Files/IHMS CmapTools\UnintallerData\Change CMapTools Installation.exe". make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again" (see img)

Strange right. What do you recommend. Reinstall?
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: CMapTools for Win gives security warnings upon download and install routine completes with missing install directory

Post by cmapadmin »

We tried the download on several machines running Windows and didn't have any problems with the download or install. Could it have something to do with the the fact that you are running Norton?

Try downloading from the ftp site:

ftp://cmapdownload.ihmc.us/installs/CmapTools/

to see if it works better.
cezerd

Re: CMapTools for Win gives security warnings upon download and install routine completes with missing install directory

Post by cezerd »

Hmm - the ftp link doesn't seem to work right now 1230am PST with this msg: This site can’t be reached The webpage at ftp://cmapdownload.ihmc.us/installs/CmapTools/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

I"ll try again tomorrow. Is there a special method to download via FTP. It's been a while since I used FTP method ...
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

OK, try this temporary link:

https://sharebox.ihmc.us/s/THUL83ZsgTF4zVQ

I'm assuming you want the 64 bit version.
ERAUwwedtech

Post by ERAUwwedtech »

Hi,

I'm experiencing a similar problem to the OP. I don't have Norton virus software or anything similar.

Windows download buttons do not work on this page: https://cmap.ihmc.us/cmaptools/cmaptools-download/ I have to right-click them to get the download started.

I run through the installation wizard and it states that it was installed successfully. However, the IHMC Cmap Tools folder is not under Programs on my device. I try uninstalling it and when I do, it says "It appears this has already been uninstalled, would you like to remove it from the features list?" Then I do that, and start the process of installing all over again.

I've viewed this page already: https://cmap.ihmc.us/docs/cmaptools-faqs and I made sure I had enough space, was installing the 64 bit to match my computer's architecture and deleted all temp files. I've also restarted my computer a few times.

Lastly, I already tried downloading it from the FTP path and the same behavior is happening.

I do believe there is an issue with the download file itself - perhaps, because it's over a year old, it is out of date for any Microsoft updates to Windows 10.

Thanks!
-Jackie
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

We'll look into it. We have thousands of downloads per month and these are the only complaints we have received. Doesn't mean there is something wrong -- we'll look into it.
cezerd

Post by cezerd »

Just coming back to this. Thanks for sharebox link, but downloading and installing from this zip file results in same error conditions originally described. I'm stumped. One known issue with my Win 10 PC is that something is preventing it from updating to latest version of Win10, could your apps installation somehow be affectd if my Win10 version is Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, OS Build: 18362.356
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

Definitely, if you can't update Windows there is some issue that probably prevents you from installing new software. Sounds like that may be the cause.