User Interface is from the 80s ...

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
Jas

User Interface is from the 80s ...

Post by Jas »

Hi Folks,
Just installed Cmap for OS X, and it's like I've just gone back in time 40 years. The fonts are grey, fuzzy, coarse. The icons are the same - it's nostalgic but unusable. Any ideas?
Cmap = v6.04, on a Mac MIni i7 with OS X 11.4, 32GB RAM, 4K monitor.

Jas
P.S. I donated. Be fairly nice to me.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: User Interface is from the 80s ...

Post by cmapadmin »

Well, we wouldn't use the term unusable. We've been concentrating on the Cmap Cloud version lately. The desktop version is stable -- but written in Java which in itself has aged. And in your case using OS X, with Apple's move to new silicon (M1) its not clear what the roadmap for Java is on that hardware. So we are waiting for that roadmap to clear up, in particular in terms of GUI libraries. For servers (e.g. CmapServer), java seems to continue to be a good choice.
Jas

Post by Jas »

Very many thanks for the reply and the insights ... I should be more grateful for what you folk have delivered and I'll get over the legacy Java issues.
Jas
julio45

Post by julio45 »

IMHO personally I think that the CmapTools application is resisting the passage of time, precisely because of the good design combined of its functionalities with its user interface. I think that the special history of this application has contributed to it.

I have made conceptual and mental maps with more than 5 different applications and studied the operation of as many applications for the same purpose. I keep recommending CmapTools because I have not yet found an application as efficient as this for all kinds of people. Also free and without hidden costs.

For example this is not essential but, anyway, I find it fantastic that this application allows you -with the help of a screen recorder- to make videos like this in a few minutes. Perfect -with voice explanations- for asynchronous teaching:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15JkHsT ... sp=sharing