Installation fails on MacOS 13.3.1 (22E261)

Having problems with IHMC CmapTools? Think you have found a bug? Let us know!
Forum rules
Before you post a problem or bug, please be sure you have included the version number of IHMC CmapTools, the operating system and version, the amount of RAM, and any other information that allows us to be able to replicate the problem you are having. (i.e. what were you doing when the problem occur? were you running another program (application) by the time you have the problem?)
mmcallister

Installation fails on MacOS 13.3.1 (22E261)

Post by mmcallister »

Hi

I am trying to install CmapTools_v6.04_09-24-19 on MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (22E261) with 32GB RAM

The installer runs successfully, and says everything has installed fine. On completion the dock at the bottom of the screen flickers as if it is being updated. I go and check the Applications folder, and the application has not been placed into the folder, and therefore I cannot run it. I have limited access to the Console utility, so while I can look inside some log files, I cannot stream messages to the console, I assume due to limited privileges.

Can you help me determine why the application is not installing?

Regards

Mike
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Re: Installation fails on MacOS 13.3.1 (22E261)

Post by cmapadmin »

The installer leaves a log file. Is it available? Do you have Admin permissions on the permissions -- that is, do you have permissions to install software? Seems to me you have a permissions issue.
mmcallister

Post by mmcallister »

1. Let me know where the log file is saved, and I'll look for it for you
2. I have limited admin permissions. It's a company owned managed laptop. I can try installing it on my personal machine at home later tonight to see if the experience is different there. That being said, our machines are meant to be set up so that if we need elevated permissions, it prompts us, we provide a password, and the running process temporarily gets elevated permissions. And I do not see any permissions error messages during the installation.
cmapadmin
Site Admin

Post by cmapadmin »

OK, given what you've told us its most likely a permissions problem, no need for the log. The CmapTools installer does not only include the CmapTools app but also installs a version of Java that is included with the CmapTools distribution. If the request for elevated permissions is not showing its very likely an issue during the installation. Did you get to try it at home?
mmcallister

Post by mmcallister »

> Did you get to try it at home?

Not yet, still at work, will get to it sometime this evening.
mmcallister

Post by mmcallister »

I installed it on my home Mac mini, and the installation worked. Can I just copy the IHMC CmapTools folder from Applications on one machine to the other, and have it successfully run that way?
mmcallister

Post by mmcallister »

Additionally, have you considered making cmap available on Mac via brew?