Text Entry to Map Creation

Have new ideas for the next release of IHMC CmapTools and IHMC CmapServer?
We welcome your suggestions and we will carefully consider whether to incorporate them into the software.
pingpongprof

Post by pingpongprof »

Is there a way to simply copy and paste a large list of concepts and have Cmaps simply construct the map? What format would said list need to be in for this to work?
I have noticed that you can enter concepts manually using the propositions menu, but I am finding this to be a little cumbersome. Is there a way to use the proposition entry menu to create linked concepts without linking phrases?

If neither of these things are possibilities, then I suggest that they should be possible using cmaps.

thanks
acanas

Re: Text Entry to Map Creation

Post by acanas »

Check the import options in the views window, specifically importing propositions as text -- there is no way to copy/paste them unless they were copied from another Cmap.
Check the FAQ and CmapTools' Help on how to to link concepts without linking phrases, but then you would not be constructing Concept Maps. Concept Maps *always* have linking phrases. Now way to do it from the Menu.
pingpongprof

Post by pingpongprof »

Hi,

Thanks for the help with the importing! I like the proposition import feature, but the way I assimilate my concepts prior to map creation would work better I think through importing cmaps outlines.

I think i figured out the format by making a simple map and exporting the map outline, but i was wondering if you could confirm that this is the only way to make cmaps outlines. Or if there is another way of importing maps outlines, if that way might be better or simpler?

concept
[4 spaces] linking phrase
[8 spaces] concept
[12 spaces] linking phrase
[16 spaces]concept

Thanks,

Ian
danielpoulin

Post by danielpoulin »

I think the correct way of doing this is to type a TAB between concept and linking phrase

Like this: concept TAB linking phrase TAB concept

Bye
pingpongprof

Post by pingpongprof »

Hi

I found the TAB method to work for proposition import, but I was hoping to find a method that would work better with cmaps outline import.

Thanks